1st Mate Delivers Ultimate Boating Confidence and Safety
Chances are your favorite hours are spent on the water – you can’t wait to step from shore onto your boat and leave everything behind.
Now you can take that step with ultimate confidence with 1st Mate Marine Safety and Security System, the industry’s first engine-integrated intelligent hub and wearable device that integrates with Mercury non-SmartCraft engines and all other leading engine brands to provide safety alerts and information.
1st Mate conveniently pairs wearable fobs with boaters’ mobile devices to deliver confidence and safety through overboard alerts, distress messaging and theft-deterrent functionality.
The 1st Mate system consists of wearable fobs for the captain and up to seven passengers that sync with the 1st Mate app and hub. The mobile app enables you to configure and manage the 1st Mate system to meet your specific needs.
The fobs connect with your mobile device and ensure that:
- If ANY PERSON OR PET with a fob falls overboard, 1ST Mate:
- Sends a visual notification to all fobs, and sends date, time and GPS coordinates of the overboard incident notifications to anyone connected via the 1st Mate app.
- Additionally, if the CAPTAIN (driver wearing the captain fob) falls overboard, 1st Mate:
- Immediately stops the engine(s).
- Sends all passengers running the 1st Mate app clear instructions on restarting the engine(s) as well as a dynamic heading of the vessel to assist with returning to the location where the captain went overboard.
- Initiates the Distress Messaging procedure (see Distress Message below).
(The 1st Mate mobile app is available now in the Apple Store for iOS devices and in the Google Play App Store for Android devices.)
But 1st Mate provides more than man-overboard alerts and information, including the following:
Once Distress Message is configured within the app, if a boat captain (driver wearing the captain’s fob) falls overboard, a countdown timer begins.
- When the timer expires, 1st Mate will send a distress message to the emergency contacts designated on the captain’s 1st Mate app.
- The distress message includes location, heading, date and time of the “man overboard” event.
- If the timer is cleared by the captain or any passenger before the countdown ends, no message will be sent.
- If the captain or any passenger clears the “man overboard” event after the timer has expired, they have the option of sending a second message stating “I’m OK” to the same emergency contacts.
Theft Deterrent System (TDS)
Theft Deterrent System locks the boat’s engine(s) to prevent unauthorized use. When the captain is ready to get back behind the wheel, the engine(s) can easily be unlocked via the proximity of the captain’s wearable or by using the 1st Mate mobile app.
1st Mate is capable of updating Hub software and wearable fobs via the mobile app to add new capabilities or features.
Reduced-cost Boating Insurance
1st Mate owners covered by International Marine Underwriters (IMU) are eligible for a 5% discount on total annual premiums. 1st Mate’s revolutionary technology enhances the safety around boating and mitigates the risk of expensive insurance claims. IMU will pass on some of these cost savings to responsible boaters. For some, this discount could equal the cost of 1st Mate over the course of a few years. To learn more about possibly receiving this discount, 1st Mate owners should inquire at their dealership or through Boater’s Choice Insurance. 1st Mate owners already insured through IMU need only to confirm their ownership with an IMU representative.
1st Mate is dedicated to providing a safer and more secure boating environment, and helping to provide discounted insurance premiums is one step toward achieving that goal.
*See 1stmate.com for additional information on 1st Mate Marine Safety and Security System.